BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, July 19, 2010

Lebron! Lebron! Lebron!: "The Decision"

Everybody by now has heard, watched and debated the infamous, "Decision". I missed going to church with a friend that night just so I could watch it. Don't worry, I prayed 3 minutes longer the next day to make up for that decision. I hope they're not reading my blog. Oops.

Here's the question though, "should Lebron have stayed in Cleveland or gone to Miami"? This will undoubtedly be something that is argued in every barbershop, social club and around every dinner table. But really, who can answer that question but Lebron? It all depends on the purpose Lebron entered the league and how he defines success. If Mr. James defines success as rings and championships (nothing wrong with that), then going to Miami might have been a great move. But if for some reason he based his decision purely upon how other people defined his success he will soon see that he is chasing a carrot that can never be caught. Okay, enough with Lebron. We have our own life challenges. However, Lebron's "decision" or the possible motivation for it does cause me and should you to introspectively consider how and why we make our decisions.

I am a pastor; and instructing and inspiring people with the Word of God is what I do. The mission of Hungry Church is: "to cultivate lives that please God and demonstrate the unconditional love of God to others". This is the reason I and we as a church exist. If I achieve this one goal before I retire from this life I believe God will hang my jersey and "Chuck Taylors" from heaven and say, "well done thy good and faithful servant". However, my self-appointed agents have another agenda for my life; "be the biggest church, have the largest building, preach internationally and be on YouTube". These are all great aspirations and it very well may be my lot to have all of them. Well, the YouTube thing is kinda corny but still possible. However, do I leave team God to pursue after that or do I simply "play the game" and fulfill my purpose for which I was called? I would be lying if I said it's not a hard decision. Critics or Championships? Obedience or Accolades?

I have no doubt that you are faced as well with such a "decision". My desire is that you will ideally be able to have them both but my prayer is that you will only pursue after one- PURPOSE!

"Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need." (Matthew 6:33 NLT)

0 comments: